If I have said it once, I will say it again – the whole debacle with Netflix will not dissuade my love and excitement for the upcoming season of The Punisher – which will hit the streaming service in January of 2019. That’s right, in practically a few weeks we will be able to see Jon Bernthal on our screens against as Frank Castle himself. After killing Agent Orange and seemingly finally coming to terms with life post-tragedy, Castle is right back in the action because that’s what we want to see. Castle kicking ass and taking names, all while pushing the limits of his own mortality.
The Punisher will be darker and bloodier, according to Collider, who was invited to the show’s Brooklyn set to learn all about what we can expect. There’s plenty of tidbits for us to share, so hold on tight because this is going to be a long list.
- First – Castle has been hiding out in a junkyard trailer and has a sidekick of sorts in Giorgia Whigham’s Amy.
- Josh Stewart plays a creepy antagonist John Pilgrim. He is described as “On the exterior, he’s a man who is a Christian Fundamentalist who had a rage, a violent side of him,” Stewart said. “It’s buried deep. I think where this is all headed, that sort of side of him is going to resurface a bit.”
- DEBORAH ANN WOLL IS RETURNING AS KAREN PAGE. There was a lot of questions around if we would see Karen return, considering there was absolutely no promotion or even set pictures. But, according to showrunner Steve Lightfoot, she’s back. “That relationship continues to be very important,” Lightfoot says.
- Castle is taking a moment at the beginning of the show to explore the county, “Getting a look at the country he fought for but has never really seen,” – Lightfoot says.
- We’re getting Frank Castle in casual blue jeans a lot, but fear not, the iconic skull vest will return, Bernthal says: “This year, when he puts it on, we figured out a very intelligent, very tactical reason, a very psychologically tactical reason to wear it. It makes a lot of sense.”
- Amy’s path runs into Castle’s while on the run from the “alt-right” John Pilgrim.
- We’re getting a “big action scene” inside the trailer that Frank is hiding out in that Amy will occupy during her time hiding out from Pilgrim.
- The trailer belongs to Curtis, who is “butting heads” with Frank this season, which I am none too happy about! Leave my Curtis alone!
- Billy Russo is still in recovery and has suffered brain damage, memory issues, and a lot of self-pity. It’ll be interesting to see how much Russo can remember. As for the behind the scene pictures, we saw of his face, the makeup team was conscious of being very realistic with his wounds, including a bullet wound hole in his cheek.
- Russo will never be referred to as Jigsaw in the show.
- Actor Ben Barnes did comment on Russo’s mental state, saying, “he’s trying to piece together what happened to him and who he is. There is the metaphor at one point that his brain is the jigsaw that he’s trying put the pieces back together of.”
- Barnes describes season two Billy Russo as having the same “vulnerability” as Wilson Fisk in season one of Daredevil.
- Floriana Lima will be Billy’s psychotherapist “Krista”.
- Dinah Madani is focused on Billy Russo to the point of it becoming unhealthy and is even self-medicating with alcohol and promiscuity.
- “She’s gone to the hospital, visiting every day, morning, evening. She’s completely tunnel-vision on him.” Amber Rose Revah revealed.
If we all remember, The Punisher’s panel at NYCC in 2017 was canceled due to the mass shooting in Las Vegas. Because of that, actor Jason R. Moore thought that their show would never see the light of day, “I thought it was a wrap,” he said. “Because trailers had come out that’s like, dude, it’s a gun shooting a lady in the head. That’s what you see. I’m very sensitive to the political climate. So I was just like, ‘I gotta’ start looking for a job.’”
Bernthal revealed that originally, the reveal of the skull vest in season one of The Punisher was, in fact, anticlimactic: “There was going to be a whole scene with Micro where they’re at the computer figuring [the suit] out,” he said. “That was going to be the first time with him in the vest. [Micro] was just gonna’ sort of be drinking tea and I’m like, ‘You can’t do that. It’s gonna’ look so friggin’ stupid.’”
I can speak for everyone that we are glad that it turned out the way it did! What do you guys think? I’m pumped. It really looks like we are looking at an even bigger and badder season and if this is truly the last we will see of Bernthal’s Frank Castle, I am happy with how it sounds like everything is turning out. Frank Castle, a messed up Billy Russo, and hopefully, Curtis and Frank will make up at some point – bring it on!
A girl with too many fandoms to count.