With the end of 2018 rapidly approaching, it is only natural to reflect on the past year and all that has transpired during that time. We here at GVNation have talked about the best and worst movies, Netflix shows, and everything that has made 2018 the year it was. Along with that reflection, it is also common to look ahead and perhaps, set some resolutions for the upcoming year. Never one to back down from a challenge, I present to you: “New Years Resolutions from a Geeks Perspective.”
Theses are in no particular order since I consider them all equally important. Of course, it also could be because I have a miserable time ranking anything. I am always second guessing my decisions…at least I think I am…maybe not, I don’t know.
1) Tolerance: Since I signed on with the crew at GVNation, I have learned how passionate fans can be about their preferences. This is especially true when it comes to the great DCU/MCU debate. Most of the DC talk revolves around whether films like Aquaman and Shazam! can counter the fans consternation about Justice League. Of course, any discussion about JL often spurs the great “Snyder Cut” debate. I have read and heard just about all I care to about that subject. So much in fact that I almost wince when I know that conversation is about to break out again. Of course it started up again when Aquaman himself, Jason Mamoa stated HE would like to see the “Snyder Cut.” Jason would know better than anyone what that might have been like. Regardless, that is in the past. Let’s look forward to now with Aquaman burning up the Box Office and Shazam! rapidly approaching. Things are looking brighter for the DCU. That being said, in the coming year, I will resolve to realize that any subject that ignites that kind of fire is going to be discussed so I must learn tolerance…and perhaps invest in some noise cancelling headphones.
2) Do My Damn Job: There are so many great movies and TV shows that we talk about everyday here at GVNation, that I find I have not a lot to say…because I haven’t had the opportunity to watch many of them. Hard to comment on the latest trends when you don’t make the time to actually see what you’re supposed to be talking about. Fortunately, the great writers here do a fantastic job of giving our readers the heads up on all of it. But I resolve to throw myself into the pit and make the time to watch so I can carry my weight around here…other than the 230+ I normally carry.
3) Did you know PlayStation 4’s actually play games?: When I bought my PlayStation 4, it was to replace my dear departed PlayStation 3. It was difficult to make that call since my 3 did the thing they decided to exclude from the 4, backwards compatibility. This was good since I had so many PlayStation 2 games I still enjoyed. Games like From Russia with Love with Sean Connery providing the voice of James Bond, GUN (kind of a precursor to Red Dead Redemption) and the original Call of Duty games (before they became like SWAT training). I also took advantage of the fact that the 3 would play 3D movies, although the best 3D movie I owned was about fishes. I was naturally disappointed that the 4 was not backwards compatible (although it is rumored that the newest versions of XBox and PlayStation might once again offer this feature). I still use my PS4 for movies but I really don’t play many games, especially since the load times and constant initial updates to games take so much time. I resolve this year to take the time to play some games on the thing, it IS what it was made for and games like Spider-Man and the aforementioned Red Dead Redemption 2, have been so highly spoken of, I need to see what all the fuss is about.
5) Engage: Our readers are some of the most passionate and knowledgeable people around. This year, I resolve to engage with them more through twitter and our web site so we can continue to make GVNation, THE place to go for your Geekdom fix. Perhaps we both will learn things along the way. I cannot promise you I will learn something, but I will do my best to retain.
6) Enjoy: We have a lot to look forward to in the coming year. Avengers: End Game, Captain Marvel, Shazam!, Spider-Man Far from Home, Toy Story 4, Game of Thrones, Marvel’s Agents of Shield, the list goes on and on. With all these goodies in mind, I resolve to allow myself to enjoy all the great entertainment that is coming without psycho analyzing it too much. I urge you, our great readers to do the same. Rest assured that GVNation will be here to share all the insights and information with you during the coming year and beyond. Have a safe and prosperous New Year!
I am a 50 something child of the 70’s who admits to being a Star Trek/Star Wars/Comic Book junkie who once dove head first over a cliff (Ok, it was a small hill) to try to rescue his Fantastic Four comic from a watery grave. I am married to a lovely woman who is as crazy as I am and the proud parent of a 15 year old boy with autism. My wife and son are my real heroes.